Sunday, January 13, 2008

London and Getting into Granada

After a stressful week I am starting to get settled in Granada. I first flew to London for 2-ish days which was a lot of fun. We had the first day free so I just walked around a little and saw the area around my hotel. After a nap my roommate in London and some new friends and I went out to dinner and then just hung around the hotel. The second day we had a whirlwind bus tour of basically every sight in London. I saw everything from Westminster Abby to St. Paul's Cathedral to Ye Old Cheese where Charles Dickens used to throw back pints. After the tour I had some fish and chips (well I had chips and cheese) and we set out to the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, both of which were amazing. We took a ride on the London Eye and got some great views of the city at night. After dinner at Masala Zone and a trip to Platform 9 3/4 (Harry Potter... they actually put a luggage cart in the wall so it looks like it is going into platform 9 3/4 at the train station) I was ready for bed.
We woke up at 4:30 the next morning to catch our flight to Malaga and a bus to Granada. The weather in London was a little chilly, but Malaga was beautiful. I was ready to go to the beach. Granada is a little bit colder, especially since we did not have heat or hot water for the first three days... When we arrived in Granada all the homestay kids met their senoras and we were dropped at the residence. There is no food for us on Sundays so we went out to find dinner. Unfortunately it was in the middle of siesta and a holiday. We finally found somewhere and I discovered that most of us do not speak much Spanish. That first meal was the biggest communication challenge so far.
I've been getting settled in since then, we have both hot water and internet now although it is still cold. I'm definitely a fan of siesta. It makes my habit of afternoon napping socially acceptable. Those of us in the dorms have been getting to know each other and I'm really glad I got to meet all these people. It's nice to have a little family here even though I don't have a spanish Senora or family. I've also been getting to know the Spanish students who live here. We made some friends who have been helping us learn and kindly speak very slowly to us. We went to a discotec with them last night and apparently Spaniards stay out late. I think I got home at 6:15am... I learned my lesson though because now I am definitely sick like everyone else in the residence and I will not be going out at all for a while.

No comments: