Wednesday, February 6, 2008

et Paris






My trip to Paris reminded me why I hate Parisians, and also why I love making good friends. We arrived in Paris (well in the airport 1 hour outside of Paris) just after seven pm. On the bus ride on the way in we had some views of the Eiffel Tour which was lit up at night and "glitters" for 15 minutes every hour on the hour. However, there was some debate from the girls sitting behind us about whether or not it was in fact the Eiffel Tour. Some thought it was too small and must be a fake. Others thought it was a Christmas Tree. I thought Darwinism should weed them out, but I'll just blame that on the hunger since we hadn't eaten since breakfast. We managed to get on the metro without killing someone (although my best friend here did finally snap and informed them: that's the f-ing Eiffel Tour, not many buildings are shaped like that) and made it to our apartment. We had said we would check in at 11:00pm, since we did not realize there would be no customs at the mini airport RyanAir flies into, so we were a lot early. We found a kebab restaurant luckily and gobbled up some kebab sandwiches and fries with garlic sauce, the first of three such meals we would have in Paris (kebabs are both cheap and good, Paris is neither).
When we checked into the apartment I waited outside the address with Alan, the only guy who got stuck staying with us because he didn't know anyone else going. There were actually five of us but the apartment was for four people so the other three waited in a cafe around the corner. Alan and I carried ALL the luggage up FIVE flights of a spiral staircase. We had to stop twice because we were laughing so hard. The apartment owner didn't get it. Apparently everyone else was eating creme brulee the whole time I was carrying three suitcases up five flights of stairs. Now that is funny. The apartment ended up being great. It was spacious and fully furnished with a warm shower, washing machine, dishwasher, stove, microwave, toaster, etc. We stocked up at the grocery store and then all passed out.
The next day was the first Sunday of the month so almost all the major tourist attractions were free. We set out pretty early after some toast with Nutella, and went to the Louvre first. We saw about a third of it before the crowds became too overwhelming and we set off, but not before filming a scene for our music video in front of the glass pyramid (don't worry, I'll post the youtube link when the video is edited and posted. We filmed scenes in front of all the major tourist attractions we visited, and on top of the Arc de Triumph. It's quality). Then we visited Notre Dame, although we skipped the huge line to climb the tower in favor of crepes and coffee, and went to the top of the Arc de Triumph. We planned to see the Eiffel Tour but read the sign incorrectly and thought the tickets were selling for 9:30pm when we were in line at 6:00pm. The sign actually said it opens at 9:30am... whatever. We headed home, by way of the grocery store. One of our apartment mates said she really wanted to cook so she whipped up amazing pasta, veggies and garlic cheese toast. For about ten euro each we had stuffed bellies of amazing food and supplies for breakfast and lunch the next day. The pasta was also breakfast the following day after that.
The second day was freezing cold and raining. We had a slow start but planned to start at the Eiffel Tour and then head out to Versailles. We made it to the top of the tower, even the two of us with severe fear of heights, and were basically ready to give up and go home. However, after a coffee run we reevaluated and headed to the catacombs instead. We were all really really disappointed that they were closed until March! We planned a great thriller dance scene to be filmed inside and it was ruined. We decide to see what else was around and found the famous cemetery where Jim Morrison and a lot of famous French people are buried. However, I was not expecting to find the grave of Porfirio Diaz, the president/dictator of Mexico. I have never been more excited to see a dead person, ever. I dragged everyone to the back of the cemetery where Diaz was buried and gave them a brief (and somewhat confusing because I mixed up all the dates) history of Mexico on the way. I am pretty sure none of them understood how amazing it was for me to stumble upon such a significant piece of Mexican history in the middle of this French metropolis. I spent at least ten minutes staring at the grave, walked around it, looked inside (it was a little house), touched it and took pictures. The rain and the cold and the packed metro were all worth it for ten minutes with Porfirio Diaz. Plus we filmed thriller in the cemetery so that was pretty bomb.
Afterwards, we headed to the Moulin Rouge since two of the girls really wanted to see it first hand. Everyone agreed it was a let down and the movie made it look way cooler. Getting there we had to change metro lines at one of the biggest stops. We went through the stop and had to hand our tickets to the ticket controllers. Unfortunately my ticket was no where to be found. I handed over a new one but apparently that was not good enough. The woman checking my ticket said I could either pay 25euro or she could call the police. She started speaking French, which obviously made me stare at her blankly, and then switched to English. I started speaking Spanish hoping that she would just let me go because we couldn't communicate but she spoke Spanish too! I knew I should have gone for German... I really just wanted to try and run or let her call the police (that would be such a good story) but I felt bad holding up the group so I just paid the 25 euro and said merci beacoup followed by some other words in Spanish. Making Spanish friends has helped increase my vocab for swearing someone out quite a bit.
The Champs Elysees was our last stop. We wandered up the street looking at the shops and getting a night view of the Arc. Then we headed home (kebab count:2).
The last day two of the girls were supposed to be heading back to Granada because they mixed up dates and booked their flights for a day earlier than the rest of us. However, at 7am we got a call saying one was coming back and actually booked her flight for the same day as the rest of us. It would have cost her 225 euro to change it so she said another day in Paris was fine. We met her at Starbucks and then moved to Peace and Love Hostel where we were staying the last night. Luckily they had an extra bed. Unluckily I was really really grouchy. The three girls parted ways with our male counterpart and headed to find the Longchamp store. I promised Stephanie, who was leaving a day early I would try to find the store for her and buy her a bag she really wanted. We had some luck and found it and bought the bag! The best part was the store was next to a pastry shop with the yummiest pastries in all of Paris. I felt easily one million times better after eating this giant napoleon looking pastry full of cream and raspberry sauce. A little blood sugar does wonders. We wandered around looking at things we could not afford (Chanel, Dior, Hermes, etc...) and then we decided to go back to the Champs Elysees. There was the biggest Sephora I have ever seen there, and wouldn't you know I just ran out of face lotion and infected my mascara with my funky gunky eyeballs! It was much cheaper to stock up on Sephora brand products than try to buy anything in Spain so that worked out really well. Also they gift wrap for free so I have a cool new purple box to keep all my makeup in.
Afterwards we saw Charlie Wilsons War at the movie theater. I loved it! I don't know why it got only ok reviews. It is definitely on my DVD wish list and I was so excited by all the history and clever dialogue I could barely stay in my seat. I have a renewed interest in the senate and government and in general and a reinforced feeling that the CIA is total crap... However, I finally realized what my skills are well suited for: being a spy. I can speak a couple of languages and with training could perfect them, I could be racially ambiguous in many eastern European countries, and I love knowing stuff other people don't know. Also, I am a bad ass.
After waking up at 4:00am to take a taxi, bus, airplane, and two other buses I am more than ready to be back in my own bed in Granada. And the weirdest part is all we could say in Paris was that we couldn't wait to get home, but we meant Granada. J'taime, Espana, mi amor. Buenos noches.

No comments: