Friday, February 15, 2008

First week of Classes

This week was my first full week of classes. Monday and Wednesday I have Economies of Spain and Latin America. The class is pretty difficult because of all the terms and words that I might not even use in English, let alone Spanish. The material itself is not very difficult yet though. We talk about Spain one day a week and then a new Latin American country every other day. I am most excited about that. I'm hoping I can actually say something intelligent in class since I had to read out loud and got stuck with the paragraph with a bunch of numbers in it. I have problems with numbers. Who knew 500 was quinientos?!?!? Ciento cien made a lot of sense to me. Tuesdays and Thursdays are much longer with Grammar, History of Art in Spain, and Pronunciation and Oral Communication. That means 4.5 hours of class which is a long time to be sitting in a little desk.
So far I am enjoying my classes, and I definitely like having a more regular schedule down.
I started practices for intramural soccer this week also. Our first practice was just a scrimage. It was pretty humorous. I guess people who sign up for IM sports actually have experience in the sport. I got a lot of pity cheers when I blocked a couple of goals, so that was exciting. And I started getting back into a running routine which makes me feel a lot better. I want to run before class twice a week but it is still really dark at 7:00am so I don't know if that will be possible for a while.
It is nice to not have so many commitments here. I am so much happier not having to deal with all the b.s. that comes with my extracurriculars at home. I emailed a bunch of people about setting up intercambios, a meeting when you speak half Spanish half English to help each other learn the language, and printed fliers to post about trying to tutor children in English. I would be fine if neither worked out and I just had time to explore and enjoy the city, but I would really like to find other opportunities to improve my Spanish and I feel weird not having a source of income so tutoring would be nice. It would also be a nice thing to put on my resume.
I am getting into the Spanish way of life: doing everything slowly, napping in the middle of the day, etc. It is very tempting to just quit everything except classes and a job and actually have free time when I go back. I seriously doubt I will be able to get away with it, but it might be worth a try.
This weekend my friends and I are going to Huelva (a city on the west-ish south coast of Spain) to visit a friend of my friend who plays basketball there. He is in the Spanish professional league and has tickets to a game! I am looking forward to some sports. The only difficult part is figuring out how to get there since the bus schedule to Huelva seems to be a bit erratic and expensive. It may actually be cheaper and quicker to rent a car. One of the girls knows how to drive a car with a manual transmission, hopefully I will get to learn. Since there are only two of us who are 21+ we get to/have to share driving time if we end up doing any driving since 21 is the minimum age to rent. We will see how that goes.
Also, a friend from home who is studying in Madrid will be in Granada this weekend. Her senora has a house in Granada and they are coming to stay there this weekend. I am excited to see a familiar face.
Here is a funny video that was created somewhat as an accident while in Paris, just as idea of how we pass the time. Hey, falling down in free. We were sober too, believe it or not. Sobriety is also free:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HFmCKlVJSs

No comments: